Practical outings and camps
At Education Support we specialize in practical , hands on, learning. What better way to test your students knowledge than a highly practical camp or day outing. Transport is not included in the cost
Three Exciting 3 day /2 night group camps to choose from or to follow on with. For schools, church groups , home school groups ect. Price R750 per student. Includes two introductory lessons( if required) prior to camp to impart some of the skills to be used as well as get to know and inspire the kids. All will be mid week camps ( Tuesday to Thursday). We will provide tents. Teachers , parents will be accommodated indoors. Minimum group of 30 required. Optimum 30 to 40. Price includes all camp and food costs. One staff member or parent, per 15 kids, will be accommodated free as part of the camp cost. Other adults will pay accommodation and food only. All camps include: Lectures, walks and hikes, practical field work, fun activities, competitions, swimming, demonstrations and much more. The idea is to give kids the full camp experience, from pitching tents to appreciating a dark , star filled sky.
Parys: Geological wonderland. Based in the world heritage site this camp is hosted on a private farm 5km from town. Educational themes covered include:
- Vredefort impact structure study: rocks, land forms
- Mapping and orienteering: 1:50 000 maps
- Mineral and rock identification. Understand, collect 8 samples in the mapped area.
- Earth movements: day/night, seasons using a special model under a dark sky
- General astronomy and sky watching
- Size of the solar system walk
- Volcanoes – Visual experiments, day and night
- The science of rockets ( science and rocket launch )
Other activities: Group games, swimming, stalk the lantern, treasure hunt, competitions.
Magaliesberg: A mountain paradise. This camp is based in a nature reserve on the Northern Slopes of the magnificent Magaliesburg. As a follow on to Parys educational themes followed on this camp include:
- Geological and landform study walk. Looking at evidence in the rocks.
- Cable car ride back down
- Landform studies: Inclined strata and landforms
- Micro-climate study: data collection/recording and interpretation. Mt and valley climate.
- Mapwork: 1:50 000 maps and photographs exercises from the top.
- Science theme: The science of light and photography ( practical exercises in the area)
Other activities: Group games, swimming, stalk the lantern 2
Suikerbosrand: The Highveld biome as it once looked. This camp is based at the resort inside this spectacular, peaceful reserve. Educational themes on this camp include:
- A study of the relationships between: plant types, soils, slopes and micro environments
- Hike across this magnificent area looking for evidence supporting our study
- Science: Understanding the electromagnetic spectrum and how we see stars – Optical astronomy
- Practical photography workshop and exercises
Other activities: Group games, swimming, competitions. night orienteering.
B – Day outings
A series of full day practical outings in the Johannesburg/Pretoria/Parys areas. All outings have a dedicated educational theme and can easily be custom altered for specific school requirements. The aim of these outings is to expose learners to the wonderful outdoor classroom. All outings will test learners theoretical knowledge in a practical way. Ideal for a school work project as learners are required to complete practical tasks for their workbooks. Ultimately the aim is to have fun while learning!!
Cost: Local outings based on 30 minimum of learners: R75 including lunch.
- Grade 11 river study in the Klipriviersberg Nature reserve. Look at the start of a river system and one of the source streams. Study types of flow, rates of flow, calculate the gradient of the stream. See an example of a 1st order catchment area.9 Lunch)
- Cross Johannesburg land-form , rock and geology study.
Start in Southern JHB and end in Fairland. Lunch at Emmarentia
- Tswaieng Meteorite crater. Build a dry ice comet, understand meteors in the solar system. Finally walk into a real meteorite crater.
- Parys day outing. Visit the world largest known asteroid impact center. Study and collect samples before a nice swim and lunch.
- James Hall Transport museum.Learn how transport systems influenced the growth of cities. End off with a treasure hunt through this fascinating museum.( Lunch)
- Walter Sisulu Botanical gardens geology display garden: talk + practical orienteering exercise. ( Lunch)
- Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens: Practical photography talk and shoot. Lunch
- Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens: Geology walk over the top. Lunch at the waterfall.
The year that was 2018
Please find details for outings on offer during 2018. Many of the outings form part of course programs running in Midrand, Randvaal Discovery and Weltevreden. All other home school,families are welcome to join in for the outings.
Requests for special outings for groups can be made provided they fall within our field of expertise and have a group number greater than 25. These include: Haartebeeshoek, Pretoria Salt Pan, Voortrekker Monument, Cross JHB geology, James Hall Transport Museum, Council For Geoscience, Kloofendal Mine ( We did all of these in the last cycle: 2017)
Friday 23 February 2018 – Sci bona Science experience. 9am to 1:30pm.
Always a must for the family to start the year. We use this outing to set the scene for the year. Kids get to do a themed science show , a practical component and then a science treasure hunt to find answers to problems, found in the displays. Cost R100 per participating kid + R25 entrance kids, R45 entrance adults. Completed – Very ssuccessful
Friday 23 March – Visit to the Planetarium and geological museum. Tentative date, to be confirmed. 9am to 1:30pm
A family visit aimed at looking at the practical side of our study of the solar system. This will linked to a visit to the geological display at Museum Africa in preparation for our geological lesson components later in the year. Cost R100 per kid + entrance to the Planetarium. Can only confirm this once I can confirm Wits holiday events ( Parking a problem at Wits)
Thursday 10 May 2018 – Visit to National Weather Service Centurion Pretoria. 10:30am to 1pm.
The visit to the Weather Service forms part of our class study of weather and climate. Here kids will see the instruments used to gather weather data as well as see hoe this data is processed. The highlight of this visit is the live launch of a weather balloon.
Cost R100 per participating kid.
Friday 25 May or alt Friday 22 June – Visit to the BMW Motor Assembly Plant in Rosslyn Pretoria. 9am to 1pm
This visit offers an almost unique opportunity for kids older than 8 years, to visit one of the most technologically advanced industrial plants in South Africa. Will include a full pre- reading note to prepare you for what you will see. Cost R100 per participating kid
Friday 27 July – Visit to the SA Museum Of Natural History – Pretoria. 9am to 2pm
This will be our first visit to this venue and will involve a treasure hunt through this spectacular museum. Following lunch we will walk around the old parts of Pretoria, Including Church Square to look at some amazing history. Cost R100 per participating kid + entrance to museum or where required.
Friday 24 August – Geological Trail – Walter Sisulu Botanical Garden. 9am to 2pm
Join us for an integrated educational adventure over the top of the ridge behind the gardens. Here we will be looking at geology, landforms while doing some practice mapwork and orienteering in preparation for the big Parys Camp out. Cost R100 per kid + entrance to Gardens. Usually R25 per scholar and R45/ R50 for adults
Friday 28 September: Practical outdoor Photography class. Walter Sisulu Botaniacal Garden. Time 8:30 to 1pm
This outing is a must for young photographic enthusiasts.We cover basic photography concepts followed by a practical walk through the gardens to test our newly acquired skills in this beautiful setting. All participating kids must have a camera to work with, Cost R100 per participating kid + entrance to the gardens. Will include a pre – read note before the class.
Tuesday 9 to Thursday 11 Oct – Parys multidisciplinary camp. 3 days + 2 nights
This camp serves as a family experience based in the world famous Vredefort Impact Structure. Here kids will have an opportunity to do practical activities covering many of the topics studied over the course of the year. The story of Vredefort, mapwork practical, orienteering practical, mineral and rock identification, astronomy, science experiments as well as time to be together and have fun. Cost: R250 per participating kid ( camp educational charge) R50 pp for camping per night or R200 pp for indoor accom per night. All families to prepare their own meals.
Friday 26 October – Johannesburg to Magaliesberg practical outing
This is our end of year family outing to study the rocks, geology , landforms and spectacular scenery of this route. We end the trip with a ride to the top of the Magaliesberg via the cable car service. May consider adding an overnight stay in the area for those interested so we can walk the spectacular back route of the Magaliesberg on the Saturday morning. Cost R100 per kid , class fee, Entrance to the cable way: About R100 per scholar and R130 per Adult ( This is a group concession) Any overnight would be advised later.
Please note that I will also be advertising some Saturday outings via Jozi Kids. These would be repeats on some of the geological outings done over the last two years. JHB to Magaliesberg, Parys asteroid impact geological, cross JHB geological
Also looking to organize a visit to a working steel plant for an older group of kids – 16 years and older